So Spring term is over and Summer term is now in session. Trevor is taking Experiments in Comptemprary Physics and Electrodynamics and I am taking my last physics requirements for veterinary school and American History through 1877. So far so good.
We both have a ton of homework and are research students as well. In case you don't know Trevor does research on Acoustics, or sound. He measures the sound and at what frequency etc. that is emitted from all sorts of things: laptops, cell phones and even cockroaches... This research is basically done so that scientists will have a good reference to use when learning how to "qualify" their anechoic chambers. Don't know what that is? Well, it's a room lined with foam triangles that eliminate the reflection of soundwaves so that any sound you make is pure. It's really weird to talk in there, surprising how much background noise there is around us.
I think it's fair to say that my research is a little more "hands on." Currently, I go out in the wee hours of the morning to a nearby diary and collect blood, hair, and feces samples from their cows. It is as glamorous as it sounds. Then I come back to the lab, centrifuge the blood samples: separating the red blood cells from the serum(white/immune cells), freeze dry everything else, weigh out tiny amounts of each sample, fold it up in a teeny tiny aluminum wrapper and run carbon and nitrogen isotope tests on them. This research studies the occurrence of illness of mama cows after they calve. In the dairy industry cow death is part of the operation (The ratio that die is quite small), but these tests are finding correlations between the isotope #s and the sick cows. It could lead to great things. My second research project is sorting through Malaysian bear poo, that's right more poo, from zoos all across the nation to see if zoos can make the bear enclosures more similar to their lives in the wild. For instance, maybe one station would have honey and succulent fruit, another with insects like meal worms etc. Bears are omnivores with quite a wide food variety so this will also be interesting to follow.
So as you can see classes, research and our other jobs outside of school are keeping us very busy. However, wedding planning is going by very well. We can't wait to be married in less than 2 months! I would have never thought we would be married this Summer, but we are really looking forward to it. So far we have the place, the time, the photographer, the cake, the DJ, food, the rehearsal dinner planned, wedding party and just ordered the invitations a couple days ago. I have my dress and the bridesmaids dresses all picked and ordered. I can't tell you how good it feels to check things off!
Sorry for the long post, I guess I had a lot to say! <3
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Summer Term: Oh what a Joy!
Posted by Jesse at 5:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment