So like I said I wanted to spend more time at the fire station and so I have been signing up for a bunch of ride-alongs. I was invited to stay for overnight shifts... this at first was surprising to me because I have no position here, I can't do patient care/fight fire/or operate any tool because of liability, unless the captain gives me permission. However, it makes sense. Most calls happen during the night and we haven't gotten a call all day long so this will increase my chances of real-life scenarios. Here at the station there are individual dorm rooms and seperate bathrooms, which allows for women in the fire service. The captain on the shift made an excellent dinner and then we watched, "Taken." Good movie. Now it's about 10:00pm and I am about to hit the hay. If there is a call during the night then there will be red lights that flash, a tone specific to us and and an automated voice telling us there is a call. I feel a little nervous about being able to wake up and jump on the engine, but I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. It is pretty awesome that I'm getting to spend so much time here. Anyways, I guess this is goodnight.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Sounds exciting. I'll be looking tomorrow for a follow up blog telling about your middle of the night adventures. ;o)
Post a Comment