Sunday, June 10, 2012

Provo Cemetery

Trevor and I wanted to go out on a walk today and decided to visit Provo Cemetery. It was such a beautiful day, not too hot, a cool breeze and whispy clouds in a blue sky.

We entered the cemetery's main entrance and walked a bit to a map of the whole place to see the layout. We wanted to take every path to get some sun, exercise and see all the beautiful grave stones. I think the grave site that we enjoyed the most was a stone bench marked with the names of a long married couple with an engraving on the seat that said, "Go ahead, sit, relax and tell us all about it." Underneath the bench, on the foundation it said the famous phrase, "Birds of a feather, flock together," and there were two bird figurines cast of metal placed on the concrete just how birds would be, looking for something to eat together.

Here are a few photos:


This is the view from right when you walk in the main gate of the cemetery. On the left is a grave marker, "Knight," and above it "Jesse Knight." We assumed that to be the Jesse Knight that the humanities building on BYU campus was named for.


Aren't the mountains, trees and sky beautiful?


Another wonderful view


When I took Ornithology(the study of birds), I knew this bird as an American Robin (VERY common here and pretty much everywhere in the U.S.) However, Trevor calls them all, "Robin Red-breast," and that's a much more fun name. So lovingly we call every single robin we see, Robin Red-breast as if there should be a title of Mr. before it : )


This was one of the few grave stones with a statue and we thought it looked so pretty with the sun shining right on it.


At the very end of our walk, we read the hundreds of names of those who served in the U.S. military. It covered people in all branches and in all wars dating back to the Revolutionary War, although we searched and searched for a name with an "R" next to it, but couldn't find one. We did find this HUGE dragonfly though! It was beautiful! I think that makes Anderson, who fought in the Spanish American War and Lewis in WWI , Duggan in WWI and a little bit of De-Muisy in WWII lucky men. That dragonfly was so peaceful there and I'm so happy our blurry-more-frequently-than-not camera captured it!

Our walk was great success, it was nice to walk around at such a respected place. It felt safe, happy, cherished, and loved all at once. There were a few visitors besides us and it seemed more people were coming in as the day stretched on. I felt for family members that were missing their loved ones. While we were walking Trevor uprighted flowers that the wind had blew over, it was very sweet. Today was so great, I don't think we'll forget it.

0 comments: