Friday, June 17, 2011

Delicious Crab Cakes

For Christmas 2 years ago Trevor got me a DS game called "Personal Trainer: Cooking." I had wanted it for a couple of reasons:
~It has recipes from all over the world (common dishes in whatever region)
~It gives you a shopping list for the recipes you want to make

But the main reason:
~It walks you step by step, so the risk of you messing up and filling your kitchen with a plume of smoke is largely reduced.

Trevor and I looked through the recipes in the game a couple months ago and flagged Crab Cakes! Crab cakes are near and dear to our hearts. We had a favorite restaurant (McGrath's) out here where we would order their crab cakes as an appetizer and then each have a small cup of clam chowdah for a nice lunch, but it closed it's doors over a year ago now : ( We got so excited to make them once we found the recipe.

Here is what you will need: Makes 4 servings/12 crab cakes
-14oz. of crabmeat (canned or fresh)
-1 1/3 panko bread crumbs (fresh)
-12 Basil leaves (I would recommend small leaves ; )
-2 beaten eggs
-6 tbsps Mayonnaise
-2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
-4 tsps Dijon mustard
- Salt (as needed)
- Black pepper (to taste)
-4 tbsps cooking oil
-2 tbsps butter
-4 lemon wedges
-4 sprigs of watercress (for garnish)

Preparation: 

  1.  Break up the crabmeat and place in mixing bowl
  2. Chop basil leaves finely
  3. To the mixing bowl add the panko crumbs, then the basil and beaten eggs, the mayo, salt & pepper, worcestershire sauce, and will someone please pass the grey poupon already!? aka dijon mustard. 
  4. Mix it all up! Try not to over mix if you still want some texture : )
  5.  Make your crab cakes by dividing the mixture, I chose to do 12... depends on how you like your crab cakes
Now it's time to cook:
  1. Heat oil in frying pan and add some butter, don't burn the butter like I did the first time! So med-low heat-ish
  2. Fry the crab cakes you formed by arranging them evenly throughout the pan. Fry over moderate heat until the bottoms are golden brown. 
  3. Flip 'em over and reduce the heat a touch. Fry this side for about 2-3 minutes so they cook all the way through.
  4. Place the finished crab cakes on a paper towel to soak up some of the excess oil and butter. 
  5. Transfer crab cakes to your dinnerware. Garnish with lemon wedges and watercress if you like. ENJOY!
I also made a quick thousand island sauce to eat with these.

If you are looking for something easy and satisfying to eat then this is a really great option. And if I can do it you most definitely can too.

Here's how they turned out:
Can you tell I like red and black? I always will... looks so fancy!

2 comments:

Corey said...

yummy!!! I love your table set-up especially the heart decoration I made for your bridal shower :) I can't wait to see you!!!

Kathy said...

OK OK I'm so impressed with the whole shabang!!! I want to try crab cakes too!! Looked fabulous and soooo tasty! Great Job, can hardly wait to give it a go. Yummmm :o)