Sunday, April 3, 2011

"If it won't hold water, it won't hold a goat"

I was googling funny goat sayings and found the title for today's blog. Who said it? no clue. Is it a famous saying? no se, maybe in Ireland... Is it funny? Well, for some reason I thought it was!

Dr. Roeder, advisor, mentor and professor drawing blood

On Friday as the Bio 270 TA, I  drove a 12 passenger van full of Bio 270 (animal restraint) students to a dairy goat farm in West Jordan, UT. It was great fun and a wonderful learning experience. Although the 12 passenger van is quite a beastly thing to drive.

Yours truly drawing blood!
The dairy goat farmer was kind enough to invite us to help him draw blood and de-lice over 200 head of his goats. The blood is sent off to a lab where it can be analyzed for pathogens or irregular RBC/serum composition, very similar to human blood tests. The de-licer is the equivalent of flea medicine for other animals, only needed once every year.

0 comments: