Sunday, April 5, 2009

Good Night for Us


Personally, I enjoy two types of music... The type that makes you want to dance and be silly or more of a mellow feeling music, which could include the blues, ballads, love songs, and folk/singer/songwriter types. I was introduced to Brett Dennen by my good friend Sam in Montana (she got me hooked on a lot of music actually), but I have downloaded a lot of Brett's music now and have been listening to it practically everyday. While looking for Jazz concerts to attend with Trevor for our History of Jazz class I saw that Brett Dennen was going to be playing at a venue in Utah, not jazz related but good things lead you to more good thing I guess.

I jumped at the chance to see him and bought tickets for the both of us. Last night was the concert and we really enjoyed it and Trevor had me make a CD for him today so he could listen to the music some more today. The concert was at a small venue in Murray, Utah and was standing only! We stood for almost four hours! The music didn't start until 9:00pm and I actually was getting pretty upset. What concert says 8pm and doesn't start at that time? ANYWAYS, the fans were pretty diverse. I was surprised to see preppy high school boys there (I did not like them... they must have bumped into more than a dozen times...).

Opening for Brett was Julia & Angus Stone, a brother/sister duo that most likely have been featured or will be for the music on Grey's Anatomy and Scrubs etc. They are both really talented and played guitars, harmonicas, the trumpet, keyboard and even a satire(I think That's what it's called?)! I love their music.

Then the stage was set for Brett Dennen with lots of incense and other decorations. He is 6'5" and has red hair and pale-white skin. When he came out he was really funny and we were so close to the front it was amazing! He was a really good performer and was good at getting the audience to sing along. His band was great too, complete mesh of electic style coming together. Now, when we listen to his songs we have more of a connection with his music and will have good memories to last a really long time!

0 comments: